Our top 5 villages in Provence Luberon area !
In Provence, you will enjoy for sure the lavender fields if you are here during the blooming season. But you must see also the nicest villages of the area ! Here you will find our top 5 list of our favorites villages in the Luberon :
1. Gordes, the famous one : Listed as " One of the most beautiful village in France ", Gordes is just unmissable. Some of you will probably think that the village is too crowed in summer or too " touristic", especially on tuesday morning when the market takes place ... But it is definitely hard to avoid a visit of the village. Even not entering the city, on the way to go to the city center, the view point on the rock where the village and its castle & church are built is a really nice place for a photo stop ! When we arrive here with our clients for a private day tour in the Luberon, the reaction is still the same : " Amazing !"
2. Roussillon, the ocre village : This village is also listed as " one of the most beautiful villages in France " and can easily visited after Gordes as it is located only 10 km away. The specificity of the village ? The colours of the houses ! You will entering in a ocre city with houses coloured with yellow, orange, red .... So different if you compare it with the dry stone style of Provence ! Don't miss the Ocre path ( called " Le Sentier des Ocres " in french ) to explore the ocre cliffs !
3. Oppède-le-Vieux, mysterious and off of the beaten path: You will not find the touristic buses or the summer shops full of lavender or Marseille soap here, but you will definitely find one of the most authentic village of the Luberon with amazing landscapes. Take your time and have a coffee on the main place before going up to reach the church Notre-Dame d'Alibon and the old castle. At the summit, enjoy the view !
4. Ménerbes, best place to enjoy the view on the Calavon valley & Mount Ventoux : One more village listed as " one of the most beautiful villages in France ". Adopt the luberon lifestyle here as Peter Mayle in its novel " One Year in Provence " which made Ménerbes quite famous. On the top of village , near the clock tower, you will enjoy an amazing view on the mount Ventoux. In the village, cafés & restaurants will welcome you for a nice break !
5. Lourmarin, a gem in the South Luberon: This beautiful village offers everything to seduce the tourist looking for the Provence lifestyle : a castle, a fountain, cafés & restaurants with sunny terraces, and its nice shops ! Take your time to enjoy a break in Lourmarin, and if you want to see more local life, come on friday morning to explore the local market ! Important : Lourmarin is aslo listed as " one of the most beautiful villages in France" !
If you want to visit these villages with a local driver, feel free to contact us to organize a private tour to explore the most beautiful villages in the Luberon ! We will be happy to show you all our favorite places !
See you soon in Provence,
DRIVER BC, private tours with driver in the Luberon